Call for entries: for Photo contest: Unknown Portraits- Women and Activism
About the project
IREX Europe, a French-based NGO, and Human Rights House Tbilisi are implementing a project aiming at promotion, discovering and strengthening new women’s rights leaders and “invisible women” – women who are actively protecting rights in their community but are not involved in general human rights defending activities. The project is funded by the European Commission and co-funded by the Human Rights House Foundation.
About the opportunity
Within the framework of the project, HRH Tbilisi is implementing media campaign to raise awareness on women who are fighting for their rights or rights of others in their communities and are not visible to the wider public, as well as on the causes advocated by them. With this aim, the announced call is inviting professional or amateur photographers residing in Georgia to submit portraits in order to discover active women from Georgia – and raise awareness about their activities.
The contest will have two winning categories:
– Grand prize – 900 GEL, awarded to the photographer for best photographic work, selected by the jury.
– Inspiring woman – 900 GEL, awarded to the photographer for the most inspiring photo, selected by the jury.
In addition to the winning categories for photographers, based on the importance of their activity the jury will select three active and inspiring women – portrayed by the photographers, who will be given opportunity to apply for mini-grants in order to advocate causes they fight for in their communities.
Who can participate?
Professional or amateur photographers submitting portrait taken in Georgia no earlier than February 2018 with the description.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are invited to submit the required documentation to HRH Tbilisi e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in a subject “Photo Contests”
The photographers submitting portraits of representatives from ethnic minorities and IDPs, rural women in Georgia – are particularly encouraged to apply.
26 May 2019, 23:59.
– CV of the photographer;
– One portrait of the women in high-resolution JPEG or jpg format;
– Photographers are free to choose between the black & white or color photography, as well as to choose between horizontal/vertical orientated images; (you can send the photo directly via e-mail or upload in Google Drive and send the link;
– Up to 200 words description to the photo highlighting the women’s name, location (region, village, city in Georgia) and activity that she is fighting for (please see the attached file);
– Printed out, signed and scanned confirmation of the photographer (please see the attached file).
Criteria for the Contest
– The participant, as well as the portrayed women, should be of full age (18 years old by May 12, 2019)
– The photo must be of original work that has not formerly been displayed or exhibited
– The photo should be taken in Georgia no earlier than February 2018
– We request high-resolution files in JPEG or jpg format.
– We only will accept minimal photo editing including cropping, color correction, contrast, and very light retouch
– Watermarks and other overlays are unacceptable. These entries will be disqualified.
– The photographers are free to choose between black & white or color photography.
– The photographers are free to choose between horizontal/vertical orientated images
– The photographer must own the copyright of photography. By participating, the photographer confirms that he/she is the author of the uploaded photo and thus has full rights to use it.
– The participant further confirms that the photo is free of third party rights; in particular, that identifiable person depicted agrees with the below-mentioned uses of the picture.
– The photographer retains copyright of their work.
– For pre-selected pictures, the participant grants Human Rights House Tbilisi a right of use of the high-resolution pictures for different purposes (e.g. presentation in exhibitions, the publication on the internet and in social media, inclusion in other publications)
Stages of selection:
– HRH Tbilisi will pre-select the photos that have met the criteria for the jury. Please note that not all the entries will be pre-selected.
– Pre-selected photos with descriptions will be published on our web-page and social media.
– Pre-selected photos will be printed out for the exhibition and the jury will announce the winners on the special event held in Tbilisi in the period of June-July, 2019 (TBD).
Elene Janelidze: 599687111